Capoten (Captopril 25 mg)
€39.80 – €61.42
Generic Capoten (Captopril) is a drug identical to the brand name medication Captopril. It is used to lower the blood pressure, manage the symptoms of congestive heart failure and violations of function in left ventricle. The drug can be used by elderly patients and people with kidney impairment though dosage adjustments should be made. The drug is contraindicated during pregnancy, lactation, for children, and in a number of conditions. To know more about the dosages, dosage adjustments and contraindications read the med guide below.
Brand name: Capoten
Generic name: Captopril
Indications: High arterial pressure, Heart failure with a diminished ventricular systolic function, Myocardial infarction, short-term prophylaxis of myocardial infarction, Long-term prophylaxis of symptomatic heart failure with asymptomatic dysfunction of the left ventricle, Diabetic nephropathy
Analogs: Acetan, Acediur, Aceplus, Acepress, Acepril, Alopresin, Apopril, Capozide, Captolane, Captoril, Cesplon, Dilabar, Garranil, Hipertil, Hypertil, Lopirin, Lopril, Tenosbon, Tensobon, Tensoprel
Generic Capoten (Captopril 25 mg) guide:
Generic Capoten (Captopril) is a medication used for hypertension, chronic heart failure (in complex therapy); impairment of the left ventricular functions as a result of myocardial infarction, and in other heart conditions.
When Captopril should be used?
You can buy Generic Capoten (Captopril) and use it if you are diagnosed with chronic heart failure (as a part of combined therapy), arterial hypertension, including renovascular one, impaired function of the left ventricle after a myocardial infarction in a clinically stable state, or nephropathy resulting from diabetes type 1.
What is the mechanism of action of Capoten (Captopril)?
The drug is an angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor that reduces the formation of angiotensin II from angiotensin I. The reduction of angiotensin II amount in the body leads to the decreased production of aldosterone (adrenocortical hormone). This contributes to the reduction of the total peripheral resistance of blood vessels, blood pressure and heart strain. Captopril expands primarily arteries and not veins, it also reduces the degradation of bradykinin.
Unlike with the other drugs used to lower blood pressure, in the use of Capoten it is not influenced by the activity of the plasma renin. The blood lowering effect is observed in normal and even lowered concentration of the hormone which is explained by the impact on the tissue of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system. It increases the coronary and renal blood circulation, improves blood supply to the ischemic myocardium; reduces hypertrophy of the myocardium and walls of arteries, decreases the aggregation of platelets, and the volume of sodium in people with congestive heart failure.
How to use the medication for different conditions?
You can buy Generic Capoten (Captopril) and use it either as prescribed by your doctor or following the instruction which is provided below. However, it would be wise to consult your doctor first and tell him or her about all other conditions that you have as they may influence the best dosage regimen for you.
The pills are taken one hour before meal.
– For arterial hypertension, the starting daily dosage is 25 mg taken 2 times a day. If necessary, the dosage can be gradually increased with the interval of 2-4 weeks till the minimum effective dosage. In mild or moderate hypertension the normal maintaining dosage is 25 mg taken 2 times a day. In severe arterial hypertension the maximum dosage is 50 mg 3 times a day (the total maximum daily dosage is 450 mg).
– For the treatment of congestive heart failure, the drug is prescribed if the use of diuretics does not provide adequate effect. The starting dosage is 6.25 mg taken 2-3 times a day. The dosage can be subsequently increased with the interval of 2 weeks. The average maintaining dosage is 25 mg taken 2-3 times a day. The maximum daily dosage is 450 mg a day.
If necessary, additional therapy with loop diuretics but not the diuretics of the thiazide type is indicated.
– For people with impaired kidney function with creatinine clearance not less than 30 ml per minute the daily dosage can be 75-100 mg. In creatinine clearance less than 30 ml per minute the daily dosage should not exceed 12.5-25 mg a day. The dosage can be gradually increased if the expected result is not achieved but only after several weeks of intake and the maximum daily dosage must be several times smaller than for people with normal kidney function.
– For elderly patients the dosage is selected individually. The advised starting dosage is 6.25 mg taken 2 times a day. It is preferable to keep this dosage without an increase.
Whom the drug is contraindicated?
You should not buy Generic Capoten (Captopril) and use it if you are suffering from:
– Angioedema, including in the history;
– Severe renal dysfunction, hyperkalemia, bilateral stenosis of the renal arteries, kidney with progressive azotemia, after kidney transplantation, and primary hyperaldosteronism;
– Stenosis of the aortic estuary, mitral stenosis, obstructions preventing normal outflow of the blood from the left ventricle;
– Severe violations of liver function;
– Cardiogenic shock;
– Increased sensitivity or allergy to Captopril and other ACE inhibitors.
– Low amount of sodium in the blood;
– High amount of potassium in the blood;
The medication is also not allowed during pregnancy and lactation and in children below 18 years of age.
You should use the drug under a doctor’s supervision with frequent tests of kidney function if you buy Generic Capoten (Captopril) and start using it while you are diagnosed with one of the following conditions or have such circumstances: severe autoimmune diseases, suppression of bone marrow circulation, cerebral ischemia, diabetes, hemodialysis, diet with sodium restriction, ischemic heart disease, conditions accompanied by diarrhea, vomiting, and elderly age.
What side effects can Capoten (Captopril) cause?
During the use of medication you should be ready to encounter certain adverse reactions. Some of them cause mild discomfort while others may be indicating serious violations of your body functioning. Therefore, if you notice any of the side effects listed below after the use of Captopril-based medications, get in touch with your doctor immediately and stop using the drug: rapid heart rate, extremely low blood pressure, swelling, kidney function impairment, dizziness, headache, ataxia, sensation of tingling, tickling, pricking, numbness or burning of the skin without apparent physical cause, drowsiness, vision impairment, fatigue, asthenia, coughing, and others.
With what medications the drug should not be combined?
he hypotensive action of the medication is amplified with diuretics and vasodilators.
The blood lowering effect is diminished when Capoten (Captopril) is used along with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, estrogens, and Clonidine.
The simultaneous use of the medication with diuretics that save potassium in the body or with potassium-rich supplements can lead to hyperkalemia.
When Captopril is used simultaneously with Lithium, the concentration of the latter in the blood plasma can be elevated.
The use of Captopril in patients taking allopurinol or procainamide, increases the risk of neutropenia and or Stevens-Johnson syndrome development.
Hematological disorders can develop in patients who use immunosuppressants along with Captopril.
In the simultaneous use of ACE inhibitors and preparations of gold (sodium aurotyomalate), such side effects as facial flushing, nausea, vomiting and a decrease in blood pressure can additionally occur or intensify.
When combined with insulin or hypoglycemic medications, the risk of hypoglycemia development increases.
What should you do in the overdose with Capoten (Captopril)?
The overdose with the medication can cause serious symptoms and harm to the body. If you overdosed, you can experience the symptoms of extremely low blood pressure such as weakness, and even fainting. The increased dosages of Generic Capoten can even cause myocardial infarction, acute ischemic stroke, and thromboembolic complications.
The symptomatic treatment should be performed at the hospital. The first measures are to lie down and raise the legs. The doctor must control the patient’s vital functions and take measures to increase the blood pressure.
Is there a difference between the brand-name drug and the generic?
The medications are identical. There is no need to buy expensive brand name if you can buy a generic drug that is the same as the advertised medication.
Generics are made using the same formulation and ingredients. They are made by other drug making companies which usually do not develop their own drugs but rather focus on replicating the original drugs and selling them at the lower prices. Such companies are strictly controlled by the World Health Organization under the program of affordable essential medications. It means that when you buy Capoten (Captopril) you should not worry about its quality and effectiveness as it has been already checked and approved by the major healthcare organization in the world.
60 Pills, 90 pills, 120 pills